Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that he is on board with President Donald Trump’s earlier declaration that he would sit down and talk with Iranian leaders.
issued a list of 12 demands that would require Iran to essentially reverse several pillars of its long-standing foreign policy. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called the demands “not acceptable.”
U.S.-Iran tensions have intensified of late, after Trump tore up an Obama-era nuclear deal with the Middle Eastern nation and as the administration prepares to fully re-impose sanctions on the regime.
The Trump administration wants to tie a new nuclear agreement to limits on Iran’s ballistic missile program and its role in regional conflicts in Syria, Iraq, Yemen and elsewhere. It also wants to make permanent key aspects of the original accord that expire 10 to 15 years from the start of the deal. Iran has rejected those conditions.
Earlier this month, Rouhani’s chief of staff claimed that Iran rejected eight requests by the Trump administration to hold meetings between the nations’ leaders on the sidelines of a UN General Assembly meeting last year.
Asked about the claim, Pompeo said he would not speak about private conversations that may or may not have taken place.
The secretary of State spoke with CNBC’s Michelle Caruso-Cabrera hours after he announced $113 million in new Trump administration investments in Asia.